Thursday, July 19, 2007

Beach not just for the sun....but the Son!

This is Karlee blogging from the depths of Cali to the endless sleeping persons that never wake up. We have some amazing leaders here and have to say that they challenge and encourage me every day that we are here. On Wednesday our entire team took a trip to the beach to have some fun and meet up with another team. A few of us kind of made a tradition to write some Bible verses in the sand every time we made a beach trip and this time was no different. Brandon Wolters, Bri, and I all started to engrave some John 3:16 into the sand. Occasionally we would have some people show interest in what we were writing but nothing to big. So Brandon grabbed a couple of Gatorade bottles that were meant to be trash and started walking down the beach. The significance to this trash was that it was something tangible that we could hand to anyone and ask them what they had to do to get that bottle. They had to receive it and from there we could talk to them about Christ. So Bri and I wrapped in a beach towel walked down the beach with Brandon asking people if they wanted to know about Jesus. Our goal was to show initiative but not force the conversation. As you might guess most people just shook their heads and told us "No". But the first time I personally asked was these two girls playing in the water by themselves. They were very interested in the conversation but I think they were pretty surprised that one day at the beach was changing their lives for eternity. I talked to them unofficially about the handful of hope that states starting with the thumb that 1)God loves me, 2) I am a sinner, 3) Jesus died for me , 4) If I trust in Him , 5) I am His child forever. Finally I got to the question of whether they wanted to pray to accept Jesus into their hearts and without fail they both said "Yes". All five of us kneeled down on the beach and asked Jesus to come into their hearts. And Wednesday, July 18 Cindy and Jenn accepted Christ into their hearts as their Saviour and God. It was blessing considering the waves hitting us and trying to break us down....maybe not the best situation. I am really excited for these two 10 year old girls and I just ask that you would pray for them as they start their new lives as baby Christians to grow and share their faith just as we had with them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This was so amazing! Until this trip, I never realized how easy it is to share Jesus with people. You just have to have hope that God will let people be open to what you have to say. If you have any questions about how we approached these people, talk to Karlee, Brandon, me, or some of the other kids in Lenny's group. It's so much easier than everyone thinks! It's as easy as handing a gatorade bottle to someone (literally!).

God Bless!
Bri